Friday, March 8, 2013

On the needles: Iknitarod mittens

My rookie run at the Iknitarod has been slow going. I'm following my usual race strategy, start slow and then taper, which is a strategy that has worked for me in other races. Weekends are my only time for concentrated knitting, and last weekend was full of activities that kept me from it. This weekend was over booked too, but I think I've cleared my schedule enough to make a run to the halfway point and try to catch up.

Lance Mackey and his team have already reached Iditarod, but I haven't even made it to the first checkpoint. I took the mandatory 24 hours really early, so that's out of the way. I'm not racing against the first place musher; I just need to finish before the red lantern goes out. As the saying goes: "DFL is better than DNF." My goal for this weekend is to finish one mitten and the first 24 rows of the second mitten. That should put me back on pace to finish the challenge.

I'm still worried that the yarn is too dark for the cables to show. I hope that won't be the case. The stitches show up okay in the picture, so that's a good sign. I won't know for sure until I start the cables.
mitten in progress

What do other knitters have On the Needles? Take a look at Patchwork Times!
-k

2 comments:

  1. You should be fine with that color. It's great! That Mackey is one speedy fellow, isn't he?

    ReplyDelete