Friday, February 1, 2013

Off to a good start

The first clue for the Medallion Mystery at Patchwork Times was posted at the beginning of January, and I started working on it right away. It didn't take long to finish the four steps for clue one. The big pieces were a nice change after working on hundreds of small pieces for Easy Street. I was a little concerned that the instructions didn't include the sizes of the units we were making. I'm always measuring so my pieces don't finish too small, especially with those tricky triangles. Judy said the pieces are odd sizes and including the size would confuse us more. She assured us that everything would be fine if we cut carefully and watch our seam allowance. I trust her.

I love how my colors are working together so far. I wasn't sure how they would look, because this is the first "project" from my color theory class, Color Play for Quilters at Craftsy.com. I used the color wheel to pick a color plan based on one fabric that I really liked (far right in the photo below). We also learned about value (if a color is light or dark) and contrast. Value finders are used to remove the colors from a group of fabrics to show the contrast. Our instructor said to pay careful attention to value when using batiks, because they blend easily. Of course, that means that I chose batiks. I never make it easy for myself. These two pictures show the fabric I'm using. The photo on the right is sans color to show value.
   


In what can only be described as a stroke of genius, Judy made a swatch sheet for us. The sheet has the fabric number and a swatch of the fabric that she is using. It has space for us to attach a swatch of our fabric. This was very helpful when I was trying to figure out which fabric I was supposed to use for clue one, especially because Judy's fabrics two and three are my fabrics four and five. Talk about confusing!












So, without further ado, here's what I made for January's clue number one.
step 1, I'm happy with these colors

step 2

strawberry ice cream in a waffle cone

step 3

step 4

Clue two is posted today at Patchwork Times! It's not too late to join in this year-long mystery. Come on! It's going to be fun.
-k

1 comment: