Monday, January 21, 2013

Design wall Monday: Starshine

Because I have absolutely nothing else to do </sarcasm>, because I love a good quilt along, and because the pattern is gorgeous, I joined in on the first of the 2013 Stitchin with Justquiltin weekend projects.

There wasn't anything in my stash that I thought would coordinate well for the stars, and I didn't have enough of any fabric that would work for the background. Not wanting to mess up my stash report with a shopping spree, I wasn't going to make it this weekend. I printed the pattern for later. On Saturday afternoon I found myself at the quilt shop picking out fabric.

The cutting started Saturday night, but I didn't start stitching until Sunday (technically the last day of the quilt along). By the end of the day, I had the main pieces stitched and one block finished.
one of two yellow blocks, the others are blue and green

The Earth, Wind & Fire fabric line that I chose has three main colors: blue, green, and yellow. The small flower print on the black background is actually three different fabrics; one with each of the three colors in the center of the flowers.
green, yellow, and blue flowers

I thought it would be pretty to use all three of those flower fabrics to subtly bring the colors together in all the blocks. I didn't consider how confusing it would be to plan the fabric placement so that each pinwheel had only one color. Graph paper and a pencil diagram of all the blocks are keeping me on track, I hope.
green pinwheel in the yellow star block

Easy Street has briefly been bumped from my design wall, but I'm sure it will be back soon. To see other quilting projects, visit Patchwork Times. I don't think it's too late to download the free Starshine pattern. Visit Justquiltin for the .pdf.

Thanks for visiting!
-k

4 comments:

  1. Nice choice of fabrics for that block design!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your Starshine looks so bright and cheerful! I also saved the directions because I've got too many projects started right now already.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that block. How striking the movement is!! Great job!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like this block and all of the different colors on the black. I agree there is nothin like a good QAL! Looks great.

    ReplyDelete