Monday, January 7, 2013

Design wall Monday: New clubs for 2013

I really like to join BOM clubs. Making a quilt in small chunks each month is less intimidating to me. A pattern and a big stack of fabric can seem like so much to do that I don't even start. But one little block or section each month seems doable, and monthly meetings or blog posts keep me on a schedule.

January brings new BOM projects for the year. The first one I finished this month was the Michael Miller Clubhouse. My block is a little wonky, so I will probably try to fix it or make another one before adding it to the next block.
flower garden

The Clubhouse also includes bonus projects every month. This month was a portfolio to hold our patterns. It was fun to make and not nearly as hard as I thought it was going to be. I still need to get a button for the closure. There are buttons to coordinate with these fabrics, but they haven't arrived at my LQS yet.


The next monthly project that I finished was the Craftsy Block of the Month 2013. This one was four cute, little offset Log Cabins with narrow strips on one side and wide strips on the other. I liked using the wide strips for two reasons. They were faster to assemble, and I could use a bigger print. These daisies wouldn't look as good on a narrow strip. I made them with orange center squares. I hope the quilt police don't read my blog and come looking for me.

 Want to see what's on other quilters' design walls? Visit Patchwork Times.

-k

8 comments:

  1. I love the orange center blocks! No police will be pulling you over! I never thought of Craftsy's BOM. I may have to take a look that. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Craftsy BOM is a lot of fun. I did it last year, too. Every month is a new technique, and some were ones I had been afraid to try. The videos make it easy, and I learned a lot.

      Delete
  2. Love your blocks. I like BOMs but I cannot say I have been very successful keeping up. One day maybe :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I usually get off track around June or July and have to do a marathon catch-up session in August or September. Not this year! This is the year that I stay caught up! ahahahahahahaha

      Delete
  3. I think that BOM's or quilt alongs are a fun way to make a quilt. I have to to one whole block at a time when quilting and the BOM allows that type of sewing. Very pretty blocks , I have to say, I love the off set Log Cabin. I should try that one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like to make one whole block at a time, too. That's one of the reasons I like the BOMs. It's also fun to share with other people who are doing the same BOM or quilt along.

      Delete
  4. Well, if you get all your BOMs and projects done in the first week, what will you do for the rest of the month? ;-) I like to be working on 3-4 BOMs along with other projects: right now I only have 2 so I will be looking for something to fill the gap.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I appreciate your concern. =) Don't worry, I have LOTS of other projects to keep me busy for the rest of the month.

      Delete