Tuesday, December 25, 2012

Sitting ducks

Bonnie at Quiltville surprised us again! I thought I knew what the next step was going to be, but I was wrong. She is very good at keeping it a mystery. Did you have the correct guess?

Part 5 says that we don't have any more geese to do. Yay! But, as I read through the steps, I realized that what we're making is basically flying geese with big butts. I like how they look (I cannot lie) but I don't think these fat geese will get off the ground. I'm calling them sitting ducks.

Another thing I realized is that Bonnie was using the two squares and a line method instead of the Companion Angle and Easy Angle rulers that she introduced me to a few weeks ago. I actually don't mind making flying geese using those rulers. Drawing lines on all those little squares seems to take forever and half the time I can't even see the lines when I start to stitch. These are just geese on squares instead of triangles, right? I can make the rulers work, right?

First, I cut strips 3.5in instead of 2in like the others. My plan was to start at the 2in line and cut the top of the strip using the ruler then cut the rest square. It didn't take me long to realize that wasn't going to work.

Next, I cut the strip into squares and tried to use the ruler to cut the corners on the top. The problem with that was trying to get the ruler centered for even cuts. The proportions were all wrong on the finished sitting duck.

So, I went with the old reliable two squares and a line method.

All my pieces are cut, and the right sides are stitched. I'm off work all week, and I'm going to be all caught up before the next clue is posted.

My Easy Street progress so far:
  • Part 1: approx 80 four patches to go. I've been using them as leaders and enders for other projects.
  • Part 2: done
  • Part 3: done
  • Part 4: done
  • Part 5: right sides done
You can see everyone's progress on the Christmas Eve linky here.

In case you were wondering, 24% of the quilt top remains to be revealed. Remember, this is based on the area not on how many weeks we have left. We still need to put all the parts together. Anyone have a guess on the next clue? I hope we make something with our limey greens.

Happy Holidays!
-k

5 comments:

  1. I laughed out loud when I read that you said that these were flying geese with big butts! I've been getting a real kick out of all the different names people have given them. Sitting ducks is a good one! I have idea what the next clue is going to be, I'm just ready to get it! Hope you had a great Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm hoping we start joining some of these units together. Not much more to go now. Merry Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm liking the names too! but I really think we are going to see them as houses on Easy Street.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Houses on Easy Street! That makes sense! I guess the double bricks will be the street? We'll find out tomorrow, I think.

      Delete