Monday, December 31, 2012

Marathon update and 2013 goals

Well, I've finally dragged myself out the door for a few runs, each one less than five miles. After the #deathflu, getting dressed wore me out, so I wasn't setting any expectations. Taking it easy was the only plan, because I haven't run consistently since before Thanksgiving. It was a slow road back after being sick, and I was just lazy and pitiful. After that it was a tailspin that landed me in the recliner in front of the TV. I really have no excuse for that.

I am finally getting back to training for Shamrock. I will be revising my time goal, however. The original goal was sub 5:00. I'm not sure how much it should be adjusted. I guess I'll decide after a long run or two.

One of the training issues has been my training partner (my husband) and my work schedules. He is off work at 5:00 and I work until 6:00. By the time I get home, it's dark outside, and he's ready for dinner. So, starting Wednesday when I go back to work, I'm changing my schedule to 8:00-5:00 instead of 9:00-6:00. We plan to meet at one of the Greenway trails between our offices and run before it gets dark. The new schedule will mean more nOg Club runs and more Fleet Feet group runs. Maybe mentoring another beginner running program is in our future, too.

Speaking of the nOg Run Club, they are trying for a Guinness World Record for the largest kilt race! How much fun is that?! The race is the St. Paddy's Run Green 8k on March 2, but the record is for a race with all the runners wearing kilts. The 8k is open to anyone, so the world record attempt will be a 200 meter run before the 8k. One of the race sponsors is Sport Kilt, and they are offering a discount. I just have to decide which one I want. If I really like it, I might wear it for the marathon on the 17th. We'll see....

In the spirit of the new year, I'm setting some New Year's running goals. I don't "do" resolutions; they don't have the same power that goals have for me. "I resolve to lose weight" is a little wishy washy. So here are my goals (in no particular order).

2013 running goals:

  • Get out of the recliner!
  • Set and stick to a regular training schedule (run 3-4x week, cross train 2x week).
  • Shamrock Marathon! Time goal tbd.
  • Buy a cool hanging thing for my five medals.
  • Mentor at least one beginner running program at Fleet Feet Sports.
  • nOg Run Club every Monday.
  • Yoga every Friday. (Is that cross train or rest?)
  • Buy a kilt. Break a World Record.
Happy New Year!
-k

1 comment:

  1. I know how hard it is to get out after being sick. It knocked me down too. Thanks for sharing your running goals. It's really encouraging. I started last year, but it's just me. I really need to get back at it.

    ReplyDelete