Friday, December 7, 2012

A gaggle of geese

I need to make something clear. Flying Geese are not my friends. We don't exchange text messages with sideways smiley faces; we don't hang out at the mall. In fact, if I know that Flying Geese will be at a party, I probably won't go.

Don't get me wrong, I admire their work. They make some beautiful designs; pinwheels being one of my favorites. Flying Geese and I just don't work well together. The fit is never quite right, if you know what I mean.

Imagine my delight dismay when I saw step 2 of Easy Street, the Bonnie Hunter mystery quilt. We're making 128 Flying Geese? For realz?

But then I watched Bonnie's demo video and saw a technique I've never tried, and I thought I had tried them all. She makes it look so easy. Her technique uses two cool rulers:


The Easy Angle and Companion Angle rulers make the pieces fit together easily with clear edges to line up for stitching.


I can't believe how well my geese are turning out. They aren't perfect, and some are better than others, but they are definitely the best geese I've ever made. Maybe I'll be able to work with these guys after all.

So now I'm trying to catch up with everyone (check out the linky). About 60 percent of my geese are stitched and ready to be trimmed. I'm excited to see what step 3 will bring.

-k

Here's my post from step one.

4 comments:

  1. Here is another method for flying geese that works great too. Really fast, and no waste of fabric either. http://www.patchpieces.com/files/flyinggeese.pdf

    I find this way is great for beginners or people that don't like making geese.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the link! I printed it, so I can try it next time.

      Delete
  2. Ahh...the Sacred Rulers. I love them for Bonnie's mysteries, but haven't figured out how to use them on anything else :0
    Sharyn in Kalama

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was pretty excited that I was able to use the Companion Angle ruler for some square in a square blocks. Triangles always mess me up.

      Delete